Monday, July 27, 2009

Orphanage or Home?

Orphanage. That word probably stirs up images in your mind. Sad, dirty, neglected kids living in an institution instead of a family. We've seen the movies and heard the statistics and an orphanage is not really a home. A home is where family members love each other, care for each other and weather storms together. 
I have visited orphanages who fit the description we have in our minds. Those visits have left me heartbroken, angry and feeling helpless.

In Russia an orphanage is called Detskii Dom. This translates as Children's Home.
I haven't thought that a good name for these places. Although there can be love in many of them the multitude of challenges and negatives outweigh the positives.
Today however my view of an orphanage as a desperate place has been challenged. At the Spitzno orphanage in  the Kirov region of Russia I saw that God has provided a loving home for kids whose histories I'd rather not discuss. Would it have been better for these kids to be raised in a family? Certainly. But I'm encouraged by what I saw at this orphanage in Children's HopeChest's program.
I saw loving care givers that are working hard to provide some semblance of family and a quite incredible home. Orphans are learning to cook, clean, do a multitude of chores and all 33 of them are required to read an hour each day. They were being hugged by their care givers. They have schedules and to do lists, they play instruments and write their own songs. 
I had doors held open for me. I heard more "thank yous" than I could count and smiles, not tears were the order of the day. If you looked hard enough you saw the ache behind the smiles. But the smiles were genuine. The smiles were resulting from a place that I believe God has provided to heal and protect these kids who are His treasure. The smiles were coming from the realization that four crazy foreigners travelled on planes, trains and buses for almost two days just to come see them. The smiles were there because even though these kids probably don't realize it yet, God is looking out for them. Yes, they have many needs but God desperately wants these kids to have a full life. 
And He wants people to care for them and to help them put their lives back together.  I just saw the beauty of what that looks like. 


Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.    James 1:27





1 comment: